I'm Overseas!

Sunday, September 17, 2006

2 posts in 1 day? Are you insane?

Okay, I'll make this recap really quick.
First day I arrived and had to stay awake for over 24 hours to adjust to the jetlag. They're 5 hours ahead of us, so when I got there it was 9:45 (4:45 am). I didn't sleep a wink on the plane and went through around 5 meals before I landed. I had breakfast, lunch, dinner, dinner on the plane, and a sandwich when I got into Heathrow. So keep track, 5 meals.
I located my group, which was being led by this absolutely adorable British woman named Jennie Davies. 10 times cuter because she spelled Jenny very quaintly. More on her later. We drove to the hotel. Perhaps you've heard of it? The THISTLE KENSINGTON HOTEL?! AS FEATURED ON THE FABULOUS LIFE OF ENGLISH PEOPLE?! I lie, but here's a picture anyway.

It was pretty awesome. I mean, it had a dining room. Moving on...

Another sign I knew I wasn't in America anymore.

And another one!

We had a conference at 4 (11 in America, awake for 25 hours), where I had another meal (6). From there I forced myself to walk around and stay awake. Blah blah blah, watched some TV, a special about a genius who can remember anything and learn a language in a week, fell asleep. Okay. That was day 1.

So I'm going to fast forward to today, because if I don't update on what happened today, I'm gonna forget it by the time I do get to blog about it.

17/9/06-
Woke up and ate my last breakfast with my homestay family. They drove me to the station and kept on telling the other people that they wanted to adopt me. I was flattered and a bit scared. Kept thinking of Misery with Kathy Bates and James Caan. Well, they were a lovely family. A bit old and obsessed with the telly, but real, real pleasant to be around. They told me to write and keep in touch, which tears me up, because I know it probably won't happen. I'm like that. I don't even write my family while I'm at school.
We took another coach ride back, which took a little over 6 hours this time, including stops. It's alright, my iPod battery still lasts crazy long. I spent it listening to some staples (Broken Social Scene, Portastatic, Superchunk, John Vanderslice, Songs: Ohia), while going back to some oldies (Death Cab for Cutie, Born to Run), and capped that off by spinnin' some new ones that I bought the other day in Liverpool (Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds, Springsteen- Nebraska, Kings of Convenience- Quiet is the New Loud). You didn't have to read all that. I just have a burning desire to list things.
Arrived and saw my room, which is totally badass. I'll post pictures tomorrow or something, but I'm too lazy right now. No one was around so I set up and went out to get some food. I ate some fried chicken and a chicken burger at a place called Dixie Chicken (probably unaware of the country trio pun). British people love that. By my hotel there was a Dallas Pizza and Nebraska Fried Chicken. Hilarious. Chinese restaurants on the other hand have really restauranty names like, After Dark, and Rainbow 2000.

Interesting...
So when I got back, there was a nice British girl here named Leigh (Lee?) with her twin brother, Ollie, making curry in the kitchen. I sat down and had a chat with them. Nothing deep, no talk about aliens. We talked about what we were doing tonight and she said that she'd knock on my door when she was leaving to go to a pub. Well, she forgot to, and now here's a picture of me:

Drinking Bacardi Breezers alone in my room.
It's not at all her fault. I tried to knock on someone's door, but I chickened out after they didn't answer for 30 seconds. Tomorrow though! TOMORROW!!

Brill,
Chris

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home